FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
359 views 4 comments
by anonymous
I have used the TSW101 (802.3af and 802.3at) to power POE camera devices, but I also connected the POE port of the TSW101 to the RUT240 and this has failed. Can I connect the POE Port of the switch to non-POE devices just for data transmission?

RUT240 (Passive PoE over spare pairs. Possibility to power up through LAN port, not compatible with IEEE802.3af, 802.3at and 802.3bt standards, Mode B, LAN1 Port, 9 - 50 VDC)

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

RUT240 only supports passive PoE on the LAN1 port. As stated by the RUT240 Powering options Wiki page:

The device is NOT COMPLIANT with the IEEE 802.3af-2003 standard: powering the device from an IEEE 802.3af-2003 power supply will damage the device as it is not rated for input voltages of the PoE standard.

Could you clarify if the RUT240 still works? Perhaps a common ground is shared by the RUT240 and the TSW101? In theory, you should be able to configure the WAN port on the RUT240 as LAN, and then the RUT240 should work fine. More information can be found on the TSW101 Powering options page. Configuration for WAN as LAN can be found here.

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous

Hello DaumantasG, The TSW101 and RUT240 share the same power supply. When I verified it,THE RUT240 didn´t work, it didnt not turned on the leds when feeding, You say that I can connect the POE port of the TSW101 to the WAN (modified to LAN) port of the RUT240 and it will work? Can the RUT240 be repaired by teltonika?

by anonymous

Hello,

Damages like this will most likely not be worth repairing, as it could have damaged the traces on the PCB, overvolted the CPU, and even finding all of the damaged components could take quite a while.

You say that I can connect the POE port of the TSW101 to the WAN (modified to LAN) port of the RUT240 and it will work?

In theory yes, however, I only suggested this if only the LAN port on the device does not work. Ideally, active PoE should not be connected to any port of the RUT240 according to it's manual.

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous
Hello again, last question,  I could connect the POE port TSW101 to whatever device with port No POE?

thank you!
by anonymous
This depends on what end device is connected and how it is designed, but theoretically, negotiation takes place before the power is supplied to an active PoE device. However, we cannot guarantee that all other devices will support the active PoE provided by the TSW101, so we recommend using this switch for PoE devices-only.