FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
441 views 5 comments
by anonymous
Hi,

I have several routers connected to RMS, both RUT240, RUT241 and RUT950. I have created VPN Quick Connect hubs to access these. These are connected to the internet by mobile connection through SIM cards.

The issue I am experiencing are that when I start a quick connect session, the router is slow to establish a connection to the VPN hub. I have tested using these steps:

1. Start VPN Quick Connect
2. Download OpenVPN profile
3. Start OpenVPN session with downloaded profile
4. Start pinging device (ping -t 192.168.1.1) until it responds

The time from starting a OpenVPN session until actually getting a response from the router varies between 2-15 minutes. I can see in the Quick Connect UI that the router has not established an active session until I get response from my pings.

This is not a new issue, but something that has been present for quite some time. The routers are located at locations around the world, and has been tested using the different VPN hub locations. But this did not improve any performance.

Thank you for your support!

Best regards
Vetle

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Could you please clarify if this issue is specifically related to VPN Quick Connect? What about regular RMS VPN Hubs? Additionally, what about RMS Connect?

Have you noticed any other connectivity issues?

Does your PC connects to VPN Quick connect immediately without any delays?

It would be helpful if you could replicate the issue by connecting to the hub and allowing the router some time to establish a connection. Once the pings via VPN start to pass, please download a troubleshoot file from System -> Administration -> Troubleshoot. Attach it by editing your question. The attached files are only visible to Teltonika moderators.

Kind Regards,

Andzej

by anonymous
Hi,

I have attached couple of troubleshoot files. The files prefixed with QC represents connection made by Quick Connect. HUB prefix represents connection made by regular VPN hubs. The next prefix e.g. 5min, represents the time delay before successful ping to device. RMS connect seems to connect without any problems, at least from my small test. We have not used this feature as much. As you can see from the files the delay ranges from 2-10 minutes, and it affects both Quick Connect and regular VPN Hubs. Average connection time is about 6 minutes.

My PC connects to both regular VPN Hubs and Quick Connect immediately after hub has been started. We have experienced some instabilities when transferring files between PC and router. These instabilities makes us have to reconnect to the hub after connection is dropped.

Best regards
Vetle
by anonymous
Hello,

Thank you for the files and explanation.

I have noticed that there are three VPN instances configured on the device, all associated with the 192.168.255.0/24 network. As a result, there is only one route in the routing table with one of the tunnels, and the device uses that tunnel to route traffic for the mentioned network.

Could you please remove or disable the other VPN instances and keep only the one you are actively using? After making this change, you may want to restart the device. Once the device is up and running, please test the ping response time and let me know the results.

Kind Regards,

Andzej
by anonymous
Hi,

I have now tested using devices that are only configured with one VPN instance. The VPN instances are only configured with one device as well. I have rebooted the devices after removing the VPN instance to test with another VPN instance. This mostly improved the connection times for regular VPN hubs, with most connection times being below 1 minutes. However, I have experienced both 3 and 6 minutes delay for these hubs.

As for the Quick Connect instances, I have experienced connection times between 2-5 minutes for the testing performed.

The devices are connected by 4G, and having 3 or 4 lines of signal strength.

Best regards
Vetle
by anonymous
Do you have any other recommendations based on my comment above? We really like the quick connect feature, it is only the performance that we have problems with.

Best regards
Vetle
by anonymous

Hello,

So deleting/disabling other instances did improve the situation.

Another thing visible in the logs is that when the device tries to establish a VPN connection, it timeouts and tries again. How is the overall internet connectivity on the device?

Could you try to lower MTU on the mobile interface? For this, navigate to Network -> Interfaces -> edit Mob1s1a1 interface -> advanced settings tab and try lowering the MTU to either 1400 or 1440.

Let me know if this improves the situation.

Kind Regards,