FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
344 views 9 comments
by anonymous
Most cellular antennas obviously require more than 18W especially directional ones. Assuming the output voltage doesn't exceed the maximum of 50, I should be able to use a gaming power supply and the AC Input Range for most gaming power supplies is 100-240 VAC which is the same as RUTX50.
by anonymous

RUTX50 power consumption (not exceed 13 w)

RUTX50 powering options (you may use any good quality 9-50 VDC PSU). I mean not unknown, cheap power brick from somewhere...

P.S. What is a gaming PSU (power supply unit)?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

As our devices are designed to operate with passive antennas, could you clarify where the 18W figure comes from?

The device itself consumes 12.5W total at most according to our measurements, so the original PSU should be more than enough. However, if you must use a third-party PSU, then as @Voljka mentioned, it should be a good quality PSU, and operate within the 9-50VDC range. PC PSUs have a 12V rail in the 24-pin connector, so that may be utilized.

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous

This is confusing. According to the electrical specifications of the directional yagi antenna I purchased, it can use up to 100 watts. Is this not a passive antenna?

https://nedis.com/en-us/product/tv-satellite/satellite-aerial/tv-aerials/550725078/5g-4g-3g-antenna-5g-indoor-outdoor-698-5000-mhz-gain-11-db-400-m-white

https://cdn.nedis.com/datasheets/ANOR5G10WT_MAN_COMP_0120_web.PDF

by anonymous
Hello,

The 100W rating in the specification sheet is what the antenna can handle, however, it will never get even close to 100W. Most carrier cells use around 100W, and they serve hundreds/thousands of clients.

I don't have the exact figure, but the RUTX50 does not come close to the 100W rating, and this is not something that can be adjusted. This is a limitation set by 3GPP and even the local laws of each country.

Best regards,
DaumantasG
by anonymous

The problem is that I live a close to a 4G tower. Less than 10 miles so the wattage could reach at least somewhat close to that. If the RSRP signal is too strong, the connection will be cut without a large capacity power supply.

I don't have the exact figure, but the RUTX50 does not come close to the 100W rating,

So I can't use a third party PC PSU that is 100W or above since that the router does not meet close to the 100W rating? Is that what you meant? I have a 750W PSU.

I understand what you meant now. The router doesn't support anywhere near to 100W of RSRP signal.

by anonymous
Hello,

10 miles is quite far to be from a cell tower. The closer you are to the cell, the less power the RUTX50 will draw.

So to summarize, the 100W rating should not matter in this case, and the original PSU should be more than enough.

Best regards,
DaumantasG
by anonymous

The closer you are to the cell, the less power the RUTX50 will draw.

Ah. I thought it was the other way around. Yeah the tower is less than a mile. I got it wrong when calculating the distance in my mind. Definitely less than a mile. Right now I'm getting between -49 dBm to -52 dBm with the 4x included Teltonika antennas.

https://community.teltonika-networks.com/?qa=blob&qa_blobid=11209356124882181756

by anonymous
With this good of a signal strength, I'm not sure if external antennas are needed, however, if positioned correctly they should provide a great signal.
by anonymous

With this good of a signal strength, I'm not sure if external antennas are needed, however, if positioned correctly they should provide a great signal.

That's the RSSI. The RSRP is -80 dBm. I want to maximize my signal since I live close to a 4G tower.

by anonymous
Sure! Let us know how it goes!