FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
638 views 0 comments
by
In a RUT240, I have set up DHCP from 192.168.199.100 to 192.168.19.120. The first client does not get 192.168.199.100, but some random address within the range. I would like the first client to get the first available address.

Is this possible?

2 Answers

0 votes
by
Hi, I can't say whether it's possible, but randomising the client addresses does have some (albeit minimal) security benefits; it isn't possible to guess the next assigned IP address. However, it is possible to scan the network to see what is alive, and even if all clients are firewalled, it's possible to find them via the attacker's ARP table.

Based on 30 years of networking and security experience, I've never heard of a DHCP server which randomises the leases and can't think of a major benefit. However, there also isn't any technical benefit to knowing the next assigned address - if you need to know what address a particular client will receive, the agreed Best Practice is to either statically assign it on the client or reserve it to the client's MAC address on the DHCP server.
Best answer
0 votes
by

Hello the option is possible however the configuration of dhcp server has to be made by hand to allow for sequential IP addresses to be leased. The option if restart the dhcp server is --dhcp-sequential-ip