8298 questions

9759 answers

15541 comments

13863 members

0 votes
1,325 views 6 comments
by

Hello!

I try to connect to a RUTX11 over internet - but nothing works...

The hardware: RUTX11 Router with FW ver: RUTX_R_00.02.00.2. In SIM1 is a Vodafone SIM, SIM2 is empty. My Laptop is connected to LAN1. The router got a factory reset.

The plan: I want to ping the router and get remote SSH access over the mobile connection.

What have I done:

1. I completed the setup wizard.
  2. After that the router established a mobile internet connection. My Laptop gets access to the internet so I can browse websites.
  3. In System->Administration->AccessControl I enabled SSH normal & remote access. Over the LAN connection I can log in via SSH on IP address 192.168.1.1
  4. To get the mobile public IP from the router I did the setup of the dyndns service (I used freemyip.com). The router tells me this IP: 109.41.67.129 (real IP, I got for a few hours)
  5. Then I went with my browser to WhatsMyIp.com an get 109.41.67.129 again. So I think this is the public ip on the internet. Right?
  6. Then I tried to ping the ip with the windows console (cmd). But I get no response. To be sure I disconnected my laptop from the router and used our corporate ethernet and additional a mobile Hotspot. No ping response...
  7. The same when I try to connect SSH (putty).

Where is the error? Can somebody help me? Finally I want to establish a vpn connection, but I already fail at getting the public ip... :-(

Greets,

Andre

1 Answer

0 votes
by
Hello,

Can send me a Troubleshoot file via private message? It can be downloaded from the router's WebUI, System → Administration → Troubleshoot page.
by
Hello,

yes I of course. But I don't know how to send you the file... When I click on your profile name and then on "Send Private Message" I can only enter text. There is no option to attach a file :-(

Greets,

Andre
by
It's fixed now. There should be an option to upload file via private message.
by
Thank you! Private message is on it's way to you ;-)
by

Thanks, I received the file. But your IP is not 109.41.67.129, it is 100.69.129.192, which is a private IP. That's why you can't ping it or SSH to it.

IPs in the 100.64.0.0/10 range are not classic private IPs (like 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16), but they're private IPs reserver specifically for network operators. it's explained here.

by
Thank you for the fast reply and your help!

I'll ask vodafone to change the ip to a public-ip. I only looked at the ip from whatismyip or the dyndns service, which seemed to be public to me...

Can you say me where you found the ip so I can check it on my own? Is it the IP shown at Network->WAN->MOB1S1A1->IP? Would this be the IP i have to adress for a ping oder shh connection?
by
You can either check it in the Status → Overview page, WAN widget or, yes, in Network → WAN.

Sites like whatsmyip show the IP as it is seen on the Internet. i.e., this will always be a pubic IP, but in most cases, it's a public shared by many mobile devices.