FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,108 views 4 comments
by

Hello, I am using the latest firmware RUTX_R_00.02.05.1 and modem firmware EG06ELAR04A04M4G and trying to use the router in bridge mode to a BiPAC 8900X R2 router as a backup to VDSL service. I have spent two full days on this and have found so many “bugs”. In summary:

Bridge mode has several issues, firstly as soon as I choose bridge mode and select IPv4/IPv6 I only ever get an IPv6 address from the 4G service provider (EE UK).If I choose IPv4 I do get an IPv4 address only. However in NAT mode I get both IPv6 and IPv4. Useless that this does not work in bridge mode.

Secondly if I leave DHCP on my router gets a local IP address from the RUTX09 regardless, (seemingly until the modem comes up), and this does not change until the “lease has expired”, however if I turn off DHCP on the RUTX09, I never get any address at all!

The only way I get this to work reliably is in NAT mode with DHCP turned off, my BiPAC router is set to 192.168.1.1 and the RUTX09 set to 192.168.5.1 and the BiPAC has a static IP of 192.168.5.100 on its interface connected to the RUTX09. BUT this results in double NAT which I want to avoid. 

Secondly I tried the static DHCP lease option with MAC address of the BiPAC port and only once did I get the correct IP assignment, the rest of the time I just got a dynamic IP assignment EVEN when the dynamic DHCP option was turned off! 

So in summary I just get too many issues and bugs and they are pretty serious. I bought this device expecting to be able to provide the 4G IPv4 and IPv6 address directly to the end device without drama and it just does not do that.

I have tried with a Windows 10 end device and get the same results, it is not the BiPAC.

Thirdly, my ISP provider has an L2TP service that when enabled provides me with the same IPv4 and IPv6 address ranges as my main DSL. The idea being that if the DSL fails, the BiPAC routes traffic over the RUTX09 to 4G, the L2TP service tunnels the IP addresses as before. The BiPAC can set up this L2TP service fine, the RUTX09 appears to be able to do so but it does not work correctly and no matter what I do I cannot get it to work.

So in conclusion the product is so riddled with bugs and issues that it makes any use case I have useless. No matter what I try I come across another unexpected issue/bug.

by anonymous

"Secondly if I leave DHCP on my router gets a local IP address from the RUTX09 regardless, (seemingly until the modem comes up), and this does not change until the “lease has expired”, however if I turn off DHCP on the RUTX09, I never get any address at all!"

-> Hi, I'm having the same issue and workaround is to leave dhcp turned on (otherwise you won't get any ISP IP) and set it to range (1 IP of rutx itself) - e.g. rutx09 has IP 192.168.1.1, set dhcp range to 192.168.1.1 and limit it to 1 IP, so no other device would get LAN IP.

Double NAT would not worry me much as even with bridge mode I have double NAT, because of carrier-grade NAT that my ISP does, so in the end I'd be triple-NATing :D But, upload speed was twice lower than in bridge mode.

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

1. Bridge mode has several issues, firstly as soon as I choose bridge mode and select IPv4/IPv6 I only ever get an IPv6 address from the 4G service provider (EE UK).If I choose IPv4 I do get an IPv4 address only. However in NAT mode I get both IPv6 and IPv4. Useless that this does not work in bridge mode.
-> I have tested it on my side and got the same results. But many i know if the ISP provider of EE UK is directly giving IPv6 address on the sim card? To check if the ISP is assigning IPv6 Addresses try doing it on NAT mode then the PDP Type set it to IPv6 only. If you are able to get this IPv6 Address from the sim card. Kindly send me a copy of the troubleshoot file. 

2. Secondly if I leave DHCP on my router gets a local IP address from the RUTX09 regardless, (seemingly until the modem comes up), and this does not change until the “lease has expired”, however if I turn off DHCP on the RUTX09, I never get any address at all.
-> First of all what are you doing with RUTX09? Who will be the one to assign IP addresses? Bridge mode disables most of the routing capabilities so RUTX09 will be the one to assign the DHCP assignments. In connecting this RUTX09 to another router that is using bridge mode kindly make sure that the LAN IP of the RUTX09 is on a different range. Because the LAN IP of RUTX09 will be used as management and configuration purposes. Send me a troubleshoot file for this test you have done to see what is causing the problem. 

3.The only way I get this to work reliably is in NAT mode with DHCP turned off, my BiPAC router is set to 192.168.1.1 and the RUTX09 set to 192.168.5.1 and the BiPAC has a static IP of 192.168.5.100 on its interface connected to the RUTX09. BUT this results in double NAT which I want to avoid. 

4. Secondly I tried the static DHCP lease option with MAC address of the BiPAC port and only once did I get the correct IP assignment, the rest of the time I just got a dynamic IP assignment EVEN when the dynamic DHCP option was turned off! 
-> May i know the LAN IP of this BiPAC router of yours a screenshot would do and for the teltonika device side the RUTX09 troubleshoot file will do. 

6. Thirdly, my ISP provider has an L2TP service that when enabled provides me with the same IPv4 and IPv6 address ranges as my main DSL. The idea being that if the DSL fails, the BiPAC routes traffic over the RUTX09 to 4G, the L2TP service tunnels the IP addresses as before. The BiPAC can set up this L2TP service fine, the RUTX09 appears to be able to do so but it does not work correctly and no matter what I do I cannot get it to work.

-> Could you send me a copy of the topology like how is everything connected to get a clearer picture and explain the details :)

Thank you and have a nice day!

Regards.
Jerome

by
When in NAT mode I get a valid public IPv6 and IPv4 address from the SIM card but ONLY IPv6 on bridge mode (this was stated in my first post),
by
Jerome,

still working on this, some comments:

(1) BiPAC does NAT for IPv4 and is set to 192.168.1.1 and RUTX09 set to 192.168.5.1, IP addresses both v4 and v6 are provided by a Windows Domain Controller with DHCP and DNS. Public IP addresses are provided by my ISP. In normal status data flows via a high speed WAN link to the ISP.

(2) The RUTX09 was bought to replace a USB stick that plugs into the BiPAC router that provided 4G failover services. The issue with the USB stick solution is that I could not disable NAT and could not get SIP to work via this route and it had no IPv6 support.

(3) The USB stick provides a faster 4G connection speed in all cases (very surprising).

(4) The RUTX09 does work ok for IPv6 and IPv4 in NAT mode and SIP does work, it is considerably slower despite being a CAT6 device as compared to the USB stick that is CAT4. Signal strength is good and it is using band 7 4G.

(5) DHCP should not be needed on the RUTX09 in bridge mode yet it has to be “on” to work and is a poor implementation.

(6) When in bridge mode I cannot get an IPv4 address from EE if I enable IPv6, although it works fine in NAT mode!

(7) If I enter a valid MAC address in the bridge mode settings then the LAN interface  never gets the 4G IP address, if remove it completely it is ok but if I plug another device into the LAN ports (to manage the RUTX09) it randomly bridges to either the BiPAC router or my laptop (hence the need for the MAC address feature)!

Etc.,etc.,

I could send a troubleshoot file but as so many features don’t work correctly and as I am trying out all sorts of combinations, not sure what to send. All of the above are repeatable tests, the issues are at least consistent!

The ultimate aim is for the RUTX09 to provide a reliable backup service to my router and whilst doing this, my ISP allows me to establish an L2TP VPN client connection to their network, so that I can keep my public addresses even in fallback. Establishing the L2TP link from the BiPAC works but not from the RUTX09 (probably because I can’t get a reliable bridge setup).

Hence what I try to achieve is that under “normal service” traffic flows from the BiPAC to my ISP and I use public IPv6 addresses (no NAT) and one public IPv4 address with NAT. Under fallback, traffic will flow from the BiPAC via the RUTX09 to EE via 4G and a VPN is established to the ISP that provided the exact same IPv6 and IPv4 addresses as per the “normal service”. In this way it should be seamless. The RUTX09 should only provide an access service for this setup! It hurts me when a cheap USB stick devices out performs the RUTX09 in almost everyway!
by anonymous
Hello,

Currently our RnD team is working on the IPv6 part on our device so there may be issues getting encountered. So it is recommended to stick with IPv4 for now on our devices. But this bug report of yours will be look onto. But for the LTE speed differences this link may help: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/LTE_Speed_Discrepancies

This issue of yours will be hopefully solved in the further updates and fixes on our device.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Regards,
Jerome
0 votes
by
Just discovered also that if I enter the MAC code under bridge mode that the interface does not get the bridged IP address at all, when I remove it it works fine again, MAC address is definitely ok and have tried with two different devices, seems every feature I try I find different “nog working properly” features....