Hello, I am using the latest firmware RUTX_R_00.02.05.1 and modem firmware EG06ELAR04A04M4G and trying to use the router in bridge mode to a BiPAC 8900X R2 router as a backup to VDSL service. I have spent two full days on this and have found so many “bugs”. In summary:
Bridge mode has several issues, firstly as soon as I choose bridge mode and select IPv4/IPv6 I only ever get an IPv6 address from the 4G service provider (EE UK).If I choose IPv4 I do get an IPv4 address only. However in NAT mode I get both IPv6 and IPv4. Useless that this does not work in bridge mode.
Secondly if I leave DHCP on my router gets a local IP address from the RUTX09 regardless, (seemingly until the modem comes up), and this does not change until the “lease has expired”, however if I turn off DHCP on the RUTX09, I never get any address at all!
The only way I get this to work reliably is in NAT mode with DHCP turned off, my BiPAC router is set to 192.168.1.1 and the RUTX09 set to 192.168.5.1 and the BiPAC has a static IP of 192.168.5.100 on its interface connected to the RUTX09. BUT this results in double NAT which I want to avoid.
Secondly I tried the static DHCP lease option with MAC address of the BiPAC port and only once did I get the correct IP assignment, the rest of the time I just got a dynamic IP assignment EVEN when the dynamic DHCP option was turned off!
So in summary I just get too many issues and bugs and they are pretty serious. I bought this device expecting to be able to provide the 4G IPv4 and IPv6 address directly to the end device without drama and it just does not do that.
I have tried with a Windows 10 end device and get the same results, it is not the BiPAC.
Thirdly, my ISP provider has an L2TP service that when enabled provides me with the same IPv4 and IPv6 address ranges as my main DSL. The idea being that if the DSL fails, the BiPAC routes traffic over the RUTX09 to 4G, the L2TP service tunnels the IP addresses as before. The BiPAC can set up this L2TP service fine, the RUTX09 appears to be able to do so but it does not work correctly and no matter what I do I cannot get it to work.
So in conclusion the product is so riddled with bugs and issues that it makes any use case I have useless. No matter what I try I come across another unexpected issue/bug.