FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
624 views 1 comments
by anonymous
Hi,

Has anyone ever used a Teltonika IoT gateway (or similar) to connect to Victron MPPT solar charger using a Victron VE.Direct serial protocol and send the data received to a HTTP server?

I have been searching a MPPT charger from where of I could read some data and push to HTTP server with an IoT modem, but it's starting to look like an impossible task as no MPPT charger has a Modbus RTU (RS485) capability. I was planning to use a TRB245 4G modem, but I'm starting to loose confidence that this problem would have a solution. So here I am, asking you gurus for a bit of help.

A Victron MPPT solar charge controller has a Modbus TCP capability (that would also be supported by TRB245), but it requires an additional part that costs 600 € extra and so is not an option.

It seems that the Victron MPPT charger "broadcasts" VE.Direct serial "frames", so in very general sense, all that would be required from the IoT gateway, would be a "resend" function from serial port to HTTP server. The server could then parse the data.

Is this or similar somehow achievable? I'm quite willing to change the IoT Gateway type from TRB245 if required, in order to solve this matter.

Thanks

N
by anonymous
Hello there !

I have worked with Victron components and Teltonika router by making a LAN and reading from the Cerbo GX (which I assume is the component you say that costs 600 bucks). Actually you are right, Victron solar charges have VE Direct (propietary Victron communication protocol) capabilities that once connected to the Cerbo can give you a broad set of capabilites (Modbus TCP/IP or CANopen) for getting the data. At this point I would recommend you to use a Rpi with the Venus OS installed and a USB-VE Direct converter for connecting the MPPT to the Rpi, and this way you can setup a Modbus TCP/IP internal network and have fun from that moment on. The Rpi and a display can cost less than third of the cost of the Cerbo GX. I hope you can make it, lets keep in touch, seems that we have common interests for the Teltonika Router applications.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Unfortunately, right now VE.direct protocol is not supported by any Teltonika device. If you would like to have this feature, you should contact sales manager at Teltonika to initiate a custom development project.

Regards.
Best answer