I have faced this problem 3 times now, so there is definitely a pattern.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Unbox a brand new factory fresh RUTX11
2. Boot up the unit, log in to web UI
3. See that it is running firmware RUTX_R_00.02.05.2 [modem fw EG06ALAR02A07M4G]
4. Go directly to System -> Firmware (do not make any other changes)
5. Check server, see that update to RUTX_R_00.07.02.1 is available
6. Begin OTA upgrade
7. After several minutes, device does not reboot properly and is now bricked
Next, we try the bootloader recovery:
1. Download RUTX_R_00.07.02.1_WEBUI.bin from here
2. Enter recovery mode (holding reset button while powering up for 6 sec)
3. Attempt to upload / update firmware
4. Wait several minutes
5. Unsuccessful, device remains bricked and will not boot. Not responsive to ping 192.168.1.1 etc.
- Batch 0025
- Hardware revision 0808
I found that if we update first to RUTX_R_00.07.01.2 and only after that continue to update to R_00.07.02.1, the update can succeed.