FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
+2 votes
3,183 views 19 comments
by
Hello, community members.

I'm experiencing a problem with my RUT950 when trying to use it in either bridge mode and/or passthrough, since upgrading to the latest firmware. I'm aware that there are some other members who are also experiencing a similar issue with recent firmwares; however, my issue and configuration is not exactly the same.

My RUT950 has always been configured in bridge mode and it has never had any problems. I upgraded from version 4.04 (if I am recalling correctly) to version 6.04.

Whenever installing updates for the RUT950, I always select the checkbox to clear the settings, and then manually reconfigure the settings. Normally, I would just change the mobile connection mode to bridge and my firewall (Sophos XG – running SFOS 17.5.7 MR-7) would have no problems communicating. Note that the interface on my firewall is static (because my ISP gives me a static IP address). After upgrading to the new firmware and applying the required settings (APN, bridge, CHAP authentication), it became apparent that there was a problem. No data would flow from my firewall through to the ISP.

To troubleshoot, I tried connecting the RUT950 directly to a PC while in bridge mode. It was observed that the NIC on the PC would obtain the correct IP address from the ISP, but no traffic would flow. Note that adding the correct IP alias to the NIC would allow access to the RUT950’s web management page. The same behaviour was seen when the RUT950 was connected to my firewall. I also tried using passthrough, which made no difference.

Changing the mobile connection mode to NAT did work, but that configuration is not desirable.

I attempted to downgrade the firmware of the RUT950 to find which version bridge mode stopped working. Bridge mode works for me up to version 5.01.8, but not for versions after (5.02 and above).

Can anyone share some insight into this problem, or perhaps a possible fix so that I can apply the latest firmware?

1 Answer

–1 vote
by anonymous
Hello,

Update routers firmware to the latest one try not to keep settings when flashing, after firmware update try configuring bridge mode on RUT950 (enter PC NIC MAC address) and wait for PC to get and IP address from your ISP when it does try setting DNS servers on your NIC (network interface card) for exmaple try using google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and see if you will be able to ping/access internet from PC.

If PC will still would not have internet access eventhough it has received an IP address from ISP - download troubleshoot file from RUT950 and send it to me (PM).
by anonymous
Hello, Vytautas.

Thanks for the response.

This is not an issue with DNS (which is apart of application layer).

An ICMP echo test to well known public DNS servers does not receive any reply while in bridge mode with the latest firmware (ICMP is below the application layer).

I'll private message you the troubleshooting file when I have a change to generate it.
by anonymous

Hello,

Please try new firmware version which will be soon available in our Wiki page, but for now you can download it from here: https://community.teltonika-networks.com/?qa=blob&qa_blobid=16220581789644749140

Feedback will be appreciated.

by anonymous
I've just tried the new firmware that you suggested. Unfortunately, there is no improvement.

I'll send you the troubleshooting file which I downloaded from the RUT950 device while running this new version of software.
by anonymous
Please PM me a troubleshoot file and also please provide steps which you take untill issue reappeared.
by anonymous
I'm only applying the minimal configuration necessary to enable bridge mode.

After the device applies the new firmware with the default settings, I proceed to log in with admin/admin01. The new admin password is then set at the next screen.

I skip the configuration wizard.

Then, moving to Network > WAN, The 'Main Mode' is changed to mobile, then saved.

After that, Network > Mobile. The correct APN, authentication method, username and password is set and applied. Then, the mode is changed to bridge and applied.

Finally, Wi-Fi is disabled under Network > Wireless. The 'Wireless Access Point' is then deleted from the list.

As previously mentioned, bridge mode works just fine on version 5.01.8, but not after. I'm changing the same settings.
by anonymous
Have you tried rebooting device after enabling bridge mode?
What device has to receive and IP? PC or another router?
Have you entered devices MAC address to which IP should be assigned?
by anonymous
Yes, I've tried rebooting after applying bridge mode.

Both – same behaviour whether the RUT950 is connected to my firewall or directly to a PC.

Do you mean for passthrough mode? There are no options that I am aware of for bridge mode which require the MAC address of the connected device.

Also, I've tried configuring the device using different web-browsers (after being reset to factory defaults).
by anonymous
Hi.

I'm still not having any success with bridge mode and the latest firmwares. Since my first post, there have been several new firmwares released. I've tried them and the issue is still not resolved.

I've noticed that when I make changes and click save using the web-interface, with the newer firmwares the page will go to 'page cannot be displayed' while the spinner is showing. I don't usually see it say 'Configuration applied.' This is not a problem with older firmwares. It then takes about a minute before I can load back to the login page on the RUT950, almost as if it is crashing while applying the configuration changes.

You mentioned in a private message that your R&D team were looking into this, and that the bridge mode problem is being caused because my RUT950 uses a Huawei modem. Has there been any updates from your R&D team?
by anonymous

I am experiencing the same problems running an almost identical setup.
Vytautas you mention Have you entered devices MAC address to which IP should be assigned?
The problem is that this option never shows up in the GUI even though I see it mentioned in the wiki pages about using bridge mode. Please see the image where I compare my RUT950 GUI and the wiki page.
I only ever see a Bind to mac when selecting Passthrough in mode and Static in DHCP mode.

by anonymous
Hi, tannyl.

It's good to hear that someone else is experiencing this issue.

Supposedly, it's because certain RUT950s have a Huawei modem (like my modem), and at some point after purchasing mine, they switched to a different brand of modem. It would seem that they didn't test the older modems in bridge mode with the latest firmwares, otherwise this problem would have been noticed.

I'm still waiting for Teltonika to resolve this issue with a new firmware update. They have informed me that they are working on the problem, though I have not received any updates from Vytautas recently.

As far as I know, there's nothing that can be done at the moment through the GUI to make bridge mode work. My only option has been to downgrade to the oldest firmware where bridge mode works (which is version 5.1.8 in my case). Any firmware versions after 5.1.8 will not work in bridge mode.
by anonymous
Well.. This seems to be a lost cause. I take it Teltonika rather have that we just buy a new RUT950.

I guess we have to fix this ourselves.

I will take a look at the CLI and see if it could be fixed without using the GUI.
by anonymous
Yes, you are right. Teltonika's effort to resolve this issue is quite frankly pathetic, especially considering the price of the RUT950.

I have found a way to upgrade to the latest firmware, but it is not an 'acceptable' solution.

Try this: download and install firmware version 5.1.8 and configure bridge mode, then verify that the modem is working in bridge mode. Note: when you downgrade the firmware, the configuration will be reset to factory defaults.

Download the latest release (version 6.4.5) and then install this firmware on the modem. Make sure you choose to keep the settings while upgrading.

In my case, if I install the latest firmware with factory defaults and try to configure bridge mode, it will not work. If I install version 5.1.8, configure it, then upgrade while keeping the settings, it works.

Things to note: if you restore the modem to factory defaults while on the latest firmware with bridge mode working, it will then stop working. You'll have to install the older version then upgrade to get it working again.

I hope this helps you.
by anonymous
Sadly does this not work for me. On 5.1.8 I still don't get the "Bind to MAC" option.
by anonymous
I think it has something to do with the hardware version. Seems like the older RUT950s don't have (or need) to be bound to a MAC address while in bridge mode. I assume that you've actually tested the bridge mode with a PC/router even through you don't see the bind option, right? Also, make sure while in bridge mode, that the RUT950 is connected to only one device at a time using either Ethernet or Wi-Fi. If you're using Ethernet only, be sure to disable the WLAN interface (just delete all Wireless Access Points configurations under Network > Wireless). The interface on the device you have the RUT950 connected to should be configured to use either DHCP, or have a static IP address configured with a default route, and typically a DNS address if it's PC.
by anonymous

Hello,

Who has RUT950 with Huawei LTE module, can you plesae using this TEST FW? And if you have some feedback or issue will persist, please download troubleshoot file and PM it to me.

FW: https://community.teltonika-networks.com/?qa=blob&qa_blobid=11015103794905419814

by anonymous

Hello,

Attaching TEST FW for Huawei bridge mode, please test it and provide me the feedabck.

FW: https://we.tl/t-U32G0JB8Yz

Thank you.

by anonymous
Hi, Vytautas. I've tested the firmware that you provided, but unfortunately, was not able to get it to work in bridge mode. I will send the troubleshoot file through to you. For now, I've reverted the RUT955 back to version 5.1.8 (which as mentioned, does work).
by anonymous
Hello,

Thank you for provided troubleshoot file. From it I can see that DHCP for LAN is disabled and this could be the issue why bridge mode is not working.
Just to notice, I try bridge mode on my RUT955 with Huawei module (firmware are the same for RUT9xx series device) and bridge mode is working just fine.

Could you please try following steps:

1. Reset device to default settings;
2. After reset disable multiwan in Network -> WAN section and leave only mobile WAN;
3. Navigate to Network -> Mobile and configure Brigde mode, after saving, wait couple of minutes and end device should get an IP from ISP.

Please make only these changes and see if your PC/end device will receive IP from ISP, if not - try rebooting router and wait for a couple of minutes (~5min).

Let me know.
by anonymous
So I have tried your recommendation, but it still does not work. Typically, I disable the DHCP option because the end device is configured with a static IP address. I changed the end device to use DHCP (temporarily) and it did receive the correct IP address, but still no traffic would flow through to the ISP. I rebooted it, but still nothing.

Just to make sure, I reinstalled the test firmware again and made the same configuration changes, but I can't get it working.

After first boot from the test firmware, the modem does not work (modem mode is NAT and only changed APN and CHAP authentication). On the network status page, it says the Operator State is 'timeout.' If I reboot it, then the modem starts working in NAT mode (I can see the IP address in the RUT955 WAN interface). Then, I switched it to bridge mode; the end device can communicate with the ISP for about five seconds, then it stops working.

I will send you a new troubleshoot file.