FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
+2 votes
3,626 views 50 comments
by
Provider Telstra Australia, APN telstra internet IP4 address is 10.92. Etc. wanting to utilise IPv6. So unticked use ipv4 only. In administration ticked ipv6 support. In wan information at first states gathering ipv6 information but none is provided. Test on test your ipv6 site comes back with ip4 only. If same test is done with iPad on 4g telstra.internet I get a ipv6. Any ideas as to why this is occurring ?

2 Answers

+2 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Please provide a product code of that device with which you encounter this issue.
by anonymous
Correct me if i'm wrong. But to be able to have NAT64, the gateway egress interface need to be dual stack to be able to convert IPv6 to IPv4. I think that NAT64 is an important feature to have.

If it were up to me, the goal should be to have a working dual stack on wan interface. That is important.
by anonymous

Please take care about this feedback :

a working dual stack IPv4/IPv6 on WAN interface is definitely needed.

Thanks

by anonymous

I would need NAT64. Not dual stack. My local equipment is IPv4 while my internet provider (4G) is IPv6.

"- Dual Stack basically means using ipv4 and ipv6 side by side. You use ipv6 to access ipv6 hosts, ipv4 for ipv4 hosts and you normally give priority to ipv6 if the hosts have both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses. If you use dual stack, you do not need NAT64.

- NAT64 is used to translate from v4 to v6 and vice versa. This is used to access ipv4 only hosts from ipv6 only hosts and vice versa." https://community.cisco.com/t5/ipv6/is-dual-stack-and-nat64-the-same-thing/td-p/3700368

by
I'm running a RUTX09 with Firmware version RUTX_R_00.02.04.3, at least, is it possible to obtain a IPv4 AND a IPv6 address at the same time (which my DSL ISP does offer) ?

if I setup the wired WAN interface to protocol DHCP, I only got IPv4 OK

if I setup the wired WAN interface to protocol DHCPv6, I only got IPv6 OK

Is it possible to have both ? (Using builtin IPv6-management option = on while protocol = DHCP but I get no IPv6 address)
by anonymous
New firmware version installed (FW ver.: RUT9XX_R_00.06.07) but still no IPv6 on public interface. When will we get IPv6?
0 votes
by anonymous
Thanks Vytautas, however, unfortunately, in my case it is not recommended to test a firmware that is not already tested. When can we have an official firmware with IPv6 and NAT64 for mobile service?
by anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for your information, if everything will OK a official RUT9xx firmware with IPv6 support should be released this month (August) somewhere around 35 week.

For the latest available firmware version, please keep looking here: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT955_Firmware_Downloads

by anonymous
That would be wonderful Vytautas! Martin, did you test the NAT64 function also, i.e. that you could use IPv4 addresses locally while using IPv6 towards the mobile operator? So you could use e.g. 192.168.X.Y addresses for local devices? Important since many local devices cannot use IPv6. And maybe also increases security (don't know) since then local devices are not directly possible to address from the external internet (I'm not an expert on that though).
by anonymous
No, I did not test that. While running the test firmware the wan interface can have either IPv4 or IPv6. Not both. To be able to use NAT64, you need to have both on the WAN interface.
by anonymous
Is it so, Vytautas? To my understanding, there will be NAT64 in this firmware version. Very important since many existing local devices can only make IPv4.
by anonymous
NAT64 enables IPv6 only clients to access external IPv4 hosts. If the client has IPv4 locally, you don't need IPv6 at all. You then have full reachability over IPv4 (behind NAT). This is true given that we have dual stack WAN interface.

My use case is that I want a global IP address on the external interface that is not a CG-NAT, which would be the case for IPv4. I also want to have my clients IPv6 only. And in this case I would need NAT64 to be able to reach external IPv4.

There is a conversion technology for IPv4 called NAT46. I havn't looked at that yet.
by anonymous
My need is as follows: I cannot get a public IPv4 address from the mobile internet provider (2G/3G/4G network). But they do give IPv6 (it's Tele2 by the way). I need to be able to reach local equipment from the internet. This local equipment is only for IPv4. I know there are VPN solutions but I do not want to use that. I want to reach the local devices from outside internet through the RUT955 with IPv6 externally and IPv4 on my local network.

Hmm, but I also realize that my local IPv4 devices need to be able to send e.g. emails out to the internet on through the RUT955 (using IPv6 for the mobile network then).
by anonymous

Magnus,

There is a couple of options that you could try:

1. Enable IPv6 LAN on the RUT955 so that both WAN and LAN would be IPv6. To enable IPv6 on LAN navigate to System -> Administration there enable IPv6 support, after that IPv6 configuration options should appear in the Network -> LAN section.

2. If you want to access RUT955 and LAN devices remotely without use of public IP address, you can try using our RMS system, which allows you to access both RUT955 and LAN devices (if they support HTTP or HTTPS web interface) remotely via internet, without use of public IP address. Router only needs any source of internet access (mobile WAN, wired WAN, wireless (WiFi) WAN). More information about RMS: https://teltonika-networks.com/product/rms/

by anonymous
Thanks Vytautas,

However, #1 doesn't work since no IPv4 on LAN. And #2 works but the monthly fee of the RMS service is very quickly exceeding the price of the RUT955 router.

So unfortunately, here I see a possible negative incentive for Teltonika to update the firmware leading to lower revenues on the RMS service... Could you unlock the specific part of the RMS service as part of the standard feature I would be very happy.

But I am not anyhow sure it will work. This since I have e.g. a mobile app that is calling my local IPv4 LAN device behind RUT955. So that cannot communicate through any RMS software then. It must just have a web address to communicate with the local device.
by anonymous
Even though WAN does not have dual stack in the test firmware. LAN is dual stack. So you can have both IPv6 and IPv4 on LAN at the same time. So, if you set the WAN to IPv6 and get the public address. There is a chance that a 1:1 port mapping can work over different address family. If a port on the public IPv6 interface is portmapped to a internal IPv4. I have not tested this or know if this is possible. But I think it should work.

I don't know much about RMS. But I would not go that way if you have much traffic.

Oh, what I just suggested is NAT64 stateless mapping. Didn't know that.
by anonymous
It would be fantastic if I can have IPv6 on WAN and IPv4 on LAN and be able to reach IPv4 devices on LAN and also having these to be able to communicate out to internet (obvious I think since communication must be both ways...). I'm just a power engineer so no expertise in the world of IPv4 and IPv6. My mobile internet provider is not giving out a public IPv4 address so it doesn't work with DDNS.
by anonymous
Have you talked to Tele2? Sometimes they have a different APN that you can use to be able to get a public IP.
by anonymous
Yes, but Tele2 wouldn't get me a public IPv4 address with my present subscription. Then I would have to pay more...
by anonymous
In fact, Tele2 will give me a public IPv4 address but only when I use their router. So with RUT955 I will not. If there would be a way to change the identity of the RUT955 to the one of my old Tele2 router (not in use) it would make it work. But maybe that would be immoral.